James H. Cossitt, Attorney
Jim has legal experience spanning over four decades in the areas of bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, workouts, secured transactions, commercial litigation and consumer finance and business law.
Originally from central Iowa, Jim Cossitt attended law school at the University of Iowa. He has lived and practiced in Montana’s Flathead Valley since 1998.
Jim is admitted to practice law in the state and federal courts of Montana, Colorado and Iowa, and is board-certified in both Business and Consumer Bankruptcy Law by the American Board of Certification.
Jim is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, and the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees. He currently serves on various professional groups:
- Montana editor of the West Group’s Bankruptcy Exemption Manual
- ABI Journal, Coordinating Editor of the “Straight & Narrow” Ethics column
A small sampling of his past and present experience includes:
- Chapter 7 panel trustee in Iowa from 1988 to 1995
- Chapter 11 trustee in Michigan from 1997 to 2000
- Chairman of the Best Practices Working Group that drafted “Working Paper: Best Practices for Debtors’ Attorneys” 64 BUS LAW, 79 (2008)
- Task force member and co-author of “Attorney Liability Under Section 707(B)(4) of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005” 61 BUS LAW 697 (2006)
- ABI National Ethics Task Force, Chair of the Consumer Subcommittee
Jim is also a passionate mountaineer. When he pulls his nose from the legal grindstone, he trades his laptop for an ice axe and heads to the mountains. He served on the Board of Directors of Glacier Mountaineering Society for six years and served as a member of Flathead Nordic Ski Patrol for 10 years, acting as the group’s treasurer for five years.
See Jim’s LINKEDIN PROFILE to read recommendations and learn more about his extensive experience in bankruptcy and consumer law.